When it comes to creating a website, you may feel that blogging isn’t high on the list of priorities. It may therefore surprise you to learn that blogging is an integral avenue through which to increase traffic to your website. In fact, blogging benefits your website in a variety of ways. But it’s important to remember that successful blogging doesn’t happen overnight, and takes a huge degree of hard work.
By adding a blog to your website, you have the perfect opportunity to be seen by users as an expert – and an authority – in your field. Regular blogging enables you to reach out to both existing and potential clients, and establishes a place on your website which is a more lively and friendly place to be. As such, you will be able to build a following of readers or visitors who will return to your blog again and again, as well as interact with you through the comments section.
To many, blogging can be seen as an online documentation of work – this again is all part of establishing you as an expert in your field. If you are a regular blogger and you provide your readers with a variety of consistent content, they are sure to return to your site regularly, and even share its content on social networks.
If you are adding a blog to your business’ website, it can demystify your business by making you a lot more approachable – especially if you use a variety of embeddable content. Videos, pictures and sound clips are all ways in which you can make your blog stand out from the rest. Check out this short guide on how to make your post stand out with embeddable content.
Blogging is a great way of communicating in a timely fashion and providing readers with news and special offers. Some posts can generate a great deal of traffic, much of which many never have found the main website otherwise.
What are the advantages of blogging to SEO
- You can target more keywords, with each post effectively a new page that can be optimised to target particular terms.
- Websites with blogs attract more links than sites without a blog. This is especially true with commercial sites, with people more likely to link to engaging informational content than your homepage or a product page.
- Search engines like fresh content. Blogging is a great way of encouraging you to consistently create fresh content. The more keyword-rich content you produce, the better off you’ll be.
- You must write regularly. Leaving yourself time to write and update your blog is highly important. Schedule a day to write and stick to it.
- Quality content. If you struggle to create your own content, it might be worth investing in a writing agency or professional copywriter to assist you. Quality content is highly important when it comes to blogging. And, while anyone can create a blog, it’s the content that defines whether your blog is good or great.
- Be realistic. Don’t expect to gain lots of followers overnight because, more often than not, you won’t. You must keep your expectations in check and really think about what you want to achieve from blogging – not everyone blogs for the same reasons.
- Be different. Don’t be afraid to use your own writing style. Writing for a website is a lot different to blogging, so you need to try and find your own voice. Do your research and look at other blogs for a bit of inspiration.
About the author
Tom Black is Head of Search at Bootcamp Media Limited, an online marketing and web design agency based in Birmingham.